Are you a blended family? Are you a parent who is dating? Do you have a teen who WANTS to date? This episode talks a bit about that too! ❤️
The lessons in this episode can be applied to ANY relationship that involves children (spouse, grandparents, steady caregivers) 😊
- Navigating the introduction to the kids, and how to accept uneasy feelings
- Be PATIENT. This is a process and a long road, which takes years to ease tension (it takes going through that UNCOMFORTABLE time to get to some easier times)
- Once your on an even level, be a UNITED front. Appreciate the love and strength that comes from all these adults watching over your children
Here is a peek at the 8 lessons:
1. Apply the golden rule: Treat other people the way you want THEM to treat you 😊 This applies to EVERYONE in the dynamic …. drop past perceptions in the PAST
2. Put kids first … especially when it’s HARD. Be willing to put what’s good for them ahead of your own ego
3. Make decisions with the long term goals in mind… This can apply to any family dynamic
4. Speak gently. ❤️ The best way to decompress a situation is to speak CALMLY. It isn’t always easy, but speaking over someone is not going to get anyone the result they desire
5. Accept you CANNOT get things 100% your way. Which isn’t possible in a 2 adult parenting relationship, let alone 4. Be open to learning humility
6. Get FLEXIBLE with your time. There is generally a written “rule” or legal document. Learn to be flexible when it’s obviously going to benefit your children
7. HUMILITY. Be willing to apologize. Acknowledge when you are wrong. Also, listen with an open mind, see #5, no one is ALWAYS right, even you 👍🏼Reread this… let these words sink in…. write it down, and APPLY it
8. Make it a habit to speak well of the other person. Don’t bad mouth each other, find those positives! Talk about how LOVED your children are by all these parents. We ALL can do this to improve relationships!!!
About my guest
Joel W. Hawbaker is a thirty-six year old high school teacher and soccer coach in Alabama where he lives with his wife Maryellyn, his two daughters, and their two energetic rescue dogs. He has a B.A. in History from Covenant College, and he has been studying leadership since his days as a student there.
Joel is also the author of the former Amazon #1 Bestselling book ‘Inverted Leadership: Lead Others Better By Forgetting About Yourself’. The book is about Confident Humility, a Gospel-centered servant leadership approach to living.
When he grows up, Joel wants to earn a black belt in karate.
Resources and links
Connect with Joel on social media:
***You’re invited to the Authentic Parenting Conference***
JOIN US on Saturday, May 18 in New Brunswick, NJ.
GET YOUR TICKET NOW>>>https://authenticparentingconference.eventbrite.com
Enter PROMO CODE: LOVE25 and save $25 on a single ticket.
If you are planning on attending with your spouse/partner/husband, get in touch and I’ll send you a special PROMO CODE.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 732-763-2576
To learn more about the LIVE event, go to >>>https://authenticparenting.com/conference
Other episodes you may enjoy:
- Co-Parenting After Divorce
- From Heartbreak To Happiness
- How To Get on The Same Page with Your Parenting Partner
Did you enjoy this episode?
Please take a few minutes to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts or iTunes. Your feedback is valuable and it helps the growth of the show.