Acceptance is one of the basic emotional needs. How do you show acceptance to your child? Why is parental acceptance such a significant influence on the child? What is a childhood memory you have of really being heard and seen? What is a way that you connect with your child deeply? Those special moments often happen in the simplest moments. Those times you let your child direct the activity and your attention is FULLY on them. It’s not about the quantity of time, it’s the QUALITY. You only need 10 or 15 minutes of full attention to connect deeply. ❤️
- The complex relationship between a Mother and Daughter
- Love languages and how they help to connect and ground a relationship
- The power of genuine listening and interest
- It’s difficult for true connection to thrive when you don’t feel good enough
- The power of bringing your awareness forward and healing your own past to parent your best
- Unspoken language, even just a look, can convey a lack of acceptance
Conditional love, that’s what becomes apparent in relationships based on excessive perfectionism and lack of acceptance. Some traits and patterns that can show up in your child are:
- Low self esteem
- Anger issues
What are signs of perfectionism. It can be different for everyone, but here are a few examples:
- Sometimes it’s perseverating on things being perfect
- Inability to finish a task for fear it won’t be perfect
- Over obsessing on alphabetizing or matching items
Are you noticing you may be a perfectionist?
About my guest
Shenaaz Moos is a Registered Counsellor, conscious parenting coach and mom of three children from South Africa.
Resources and links
- How to Communicate Your Needs in a Relationship
- The Benefits of Negative Emotions
- Mindful Communication: How To Find Your Voice, Speak Your Truth and Listen Deeply
Did you enjoy this episode?
Subscribe to Authentic Parenting Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or if you have an Alexa, you can simply ask, “Alexa, open Authentic Parenting!”
Here is how you can subscribe to the podcast. Watch my quick video tutorial.
Please take a few minutes to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts or iTunes. Your feedback is valuable and it helps the growth of the show.