Attachment is the notion that interactions with primary caregivers in early childhood create internal working models in our brains that later impact how we view ourselves, view others, and view relationships in adulthood. Attachment causes us to communicate and react to the communication of others in certain ways. Understanding attachment can help individuals better understand the people in their lives and better cultivate the relationships they have with these people.
• Background of attachment theory
• Science behind attachment
• Importance of attachment
• How to cultivate attachment as a parent based on your child’s age
• How attachment impacts your behaviors and communication in relationships throughout life
• How attachment develops and changes throughout the lifespan
Learning about the science of attachment can help you better understand yourself, the people in your life, and the relationships that you have with those people. In fact, developing a secure attachment bond with your child has been argued by experts as one of the most important things you can do as a parent. Further, research has shown that a secure attachment is the best possible foundation for healthy physical, emotional, intellectual, and social development throughout life. Even if you’re not a parent, understanding the science of attachment can improve your communication, your outlook on life, and your growth as a person.
About my guest
Dr. Jennie Rosier, is the founder of The Relationships, Love, Happiness Project, a multi-faceted outreach project aimed at improving romantic and parent-child relationships. She is an Associate Professor at James Madison University in Virginia where she teaches classes about Communication in Romantic Relationships and Attachment Communication. She has dedicated her life to figuring out how individuals can use communication to live happy, healthy lives connected to other people. She lives in Virginia with her husband and four young children.
Resources and links
- Jenny’s web site
- Take the Attachment quiz to find out your style.
- Excellent book on adult attachments, Attached: Are you Anxious, Avoidant or Secure? How the science of adult attachment can help you find – and keep
- Follow Jenny on Facebook
- Follow Jenny on Instagram
Other episodes you may enjoy:
- Becoming Your True Authentic Self
- Childhood Trauma: Reclaiming Your Authentic Self
- In Search of The True Self
- How You Can Be Kind and Loving Toward Yourself
- Breaking Free From Old Stories
Did you enjoy this episode?
Please take a few minutes to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts or iTunes. Your feedback is valuable and it helps the growth of the show.