What happens inside of us as a result of trauma changes us. When trauma hits, it affects all aspects of our life: our brain biology, emotions, memory, physical health, But above all-it alters our sense of self. It creates a permanent divide in our personal history-forever dividing it into two segments of Before and After.
The person you were before the trauma is not the person you are after it.
I’m reminded of the words of a novelist Haruki Murakami:
“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it though, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what the storm’s is all about.”
While trauma is this invisible epidemic, not every negative life event constitutes as trauma.
Is healing possible? Absolutely!
Some key points
- 3 types of trauma
- The role of shame
- The role of the limbic system
- Paul’s own story with his brother’s suicide
- First steps towards healing
- The importance of creating a coherent narrative
Here is a quote from this episode:
“Trauma changes our emotions: changed emotions determine our decisions.”
About my guest
Paul Conti, MD is a graduate of Stanford University School of Medicine. He completed his psychiatry training at Stanford and at Harvard, where he was appointed chief resident. He then served on the medical faculty at Harvard before moving to Portland, Oregon, and founding a clinic.
Mentioned links and resources
Other episodes you may enjoy
- 292: Healing Trauma and Restoring Wholeness with Dr. Dick Schwartz
- 290: Alarmed Aloneness with Sarah Peyton
- 246: Healing Relational Trauma with Dr. Nima
- 241: How to Cultivate Self-Love with Nathalie Ellies
- 203: Discovering Wholeness and Healing After Trauma with James Gordon, MD
SUPPORT THE PODCAST, SHOW YOUR LOVE
- Take a moment to write a review for the podcast. It’s super easy. You do it once and it goes towards the entire podcast, not just one episode. It’s helpful.
- Become a patron on Patreon.com. Join our 15 current active members who give monthly (combined $85). Our monthly goal is $500 to cover the essential costs of producing the podcast. Your contribution makes a difference!
- Make a one-time donation in any amount to say thank you.
Follow, Listen and Enjoy!