Anxiety is so prevalent. 40 million Americans suffer from it. We are living through one of the most anxious periods any of us can remember.
Do you suffer from anxiety?
We think of anxiety as everything from mild unease to full-blown panic attacks. But it’s also what drives the addictive behaviors and bad habits we use to cope (e.g., stress eating, procrastination, doom scrolling and social media).
Plus, anxiety lives in a part of the brain that resists rational thought.
Have you ever thought about anxiety as a habit?
In episode 312 : Unwinding Anxiety renowned addiction psychiatrist and neuroscientist Dr. Jud Brewer explains how to uproot anxiety at its source, using brain-based techniques and small hacks accessible to anyone.
He has created a remarkable step-by-step program that anyone can use to feel better. He teaches us how to map our brains to discover our triggers, defuse them with the simple but powerful practice of curiosity, and train our brains using mindfulness.
About my guest
Dr. Jud Brewer is a New York Times best-selling author, neuroscientist, addiction psychiatrist, and thought leader in the field of habit change. He is the director of research and innovation at Brown University’s Mindfulness Center, where he also serves as an associate professor of Behavioral and Social Sciences in the School of Public Health. He is the executive medical director of behavioral health at Sharecare, a digital health company and a research affiliate at MIT. Dr. Jud has developed and tested novel mindfulness programs for habit change, including treatments for smoking, emotional eating, and anxiety. He is the author of Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind and The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love, Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits.
Resources and links
- Dr. Jud’s website
- Follow him on Instagram
- Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind and The Craving Mind book by Dr. Jud Brewer
- Follow him on Twitter
- Eat Right Now on the App Store
- Unwinding Anxiety on the App Store
- Craving To Quit®
Other episodes you may enjoy
- The Upside of Your Dark Side with Todd Kashdan, Ph.D
- Fear with Kristin Ulmer
- Tears and Crying: Why Do Only Humans Cry Ad Vingerhoets
- Anxiety with Denis Tirch
- Boredom with Hans Wilhelm
- Anger with Russel Kolts, Ph.D
SUPPORT THE PODCAST, SHOW YOUR LOVE
- Take a moment to write a review for the podcast. It’s super easy and very helpful.
- Become a patron on Patreon.com. Join our 17 current active members who give $83 towards our monthly goal of $500 to cover the essential costs of producing the podcast. Your contribution makes a difference!
- Make a one-time donation in any amount to say thank you.
Follow, Listen and Enjoy!